· Tom McGinn (1883-1956) Sheriff, December 31, 1916 - January 4, 1917 · It’s late Friday afternoon, October 21, 1927, in Hutchinson, Kansas. Julia, 59, and Houston Whiteside, 81, are sitting at their dining room table when Julia stops talking, turns her head to the southeast, and announces, “The reformatory siren is going off.” “I wonder who escaped,” said Houston. * “Which Reno County sheriff was never elected, but he served in that position for four days?” asked … [Read more...] about Sheriffs of Reno County: Tom McGinn
Hutchinson Public Library
· Is this man Elmer Swanson? Photo Postcard from the Past · Is this man Elmer Swanson? Morgan Williams, collector and expert on exaggeration postcards, sent me another postcard challenge. As I examined the image of the front and markings on the back, I thought, Boy, there isn’t much information here! The photograph had the feeling of early 1900s but the clues were sparse: a man, sharply dressed, was holding a sword next to a step-ladder. He was staged as if preparing to climb the … [Read more...] about Is this man Elmer Swanson?
· The Joy of the Hunt: Wade Photographer When Morgan Williams, known far and wide for his amazing collection of exaggeration postcards, sent me a postcard image to examine, I was hooked! The advertising postcard showed a side-view of an early model car, a convertible, with a smiling driver, parked on a brick city street. Photos of thirteen babies or infants had been added to the picture to give the impression they were all peacefully engaged while sitting for a portrait. The lettering at … [Read more...] about The Joy of the Hunt
· Reading Rendezvous · It was good for me to get back to the monthly Reading Rendezvous Book Club at Metropolitan Coffee in Hutchinson, Kansas. If you’ve never been a part of a group discussing books, you may not realize that success starts with amazing leaders. Miriam Bebe Kitson and Rebecca Shetler co-share that responsibility at Metropolitan http://www.metrocoffeehutch.com. They are excellent on many levels, including being prepared, welcoming, curious, flexible, interesting, and … [Read more...] about Book Club
· A Book Reading at Hutchinson Public Library · Tomorrow night I have my first official book reading/signing for my debut novel, Taking Back the Bullet: Trajectories of Self-Discovery. I’m looking forward to the interaction with the attendees—if anyone shows up. Well, I know some people will show. J. Alex Potter, my wife, she’ll be there. We’re riding in the same car. Kate Lewis, Marketing and Communications Manager of the Hutchinson Public Library (HPL); she’ll be there. That’s three … [Read more...] about Michael Jackson or Me, You Decide