· Smile Across the Nile: Bellygrammed by Alexandria · Surprise birthday parties have been planned and carried out for centuries. The most recognized song in the English language, “Happy Birthday,” is sung to birthday honorees prior to the opening of cards and gifts. Fiery trick candles, planted in sweet icing on celebratory cakes, are blown out once, then blown out again. During the late 1970s, singing telegrams—originally popular in the 30s—were trending again, then balloon-o-grams, then … [Read more...] about Smile Across the Nile
· James A. Woodson: A Newspaper View · James A. Woodson (1893-1971) achieved a lot of during his twenty-two year career as an officer on the Hutchinson Police Department (Kansas) from 1927 through 1949. Who else, anywhere, was hired as a city dog catcher and retired as a lieutenant? Early Days Can you imagine being a police officer walking the beat on Main Street without a vehicle, without a two-way radio, and certainly without a smart phone? That’s the way it was for Officer Woodson … [Read more...] about Another View of James A. Woodson
· James Andrew Woodson: A Family View · When I asked Leland Woodson, 84 years of age, for an interview about his father, James A. Woodson (1893-1971), my interest was mainly his dad’s career as a Hutchinson Police Officer from 1927-1949. I understood that I’d only get a glimpse of the officer’s lengthy service. After all, I was writing a blog, not a book. When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that three of Leland’s siblings, all sisters, Galena Mae (Crable), 90; … [Read more...] about James Andrew Woodson
· Is this man Elmer Swanson? Photo Postcard from the Past · Is this man Elmer Swanson? Morgan Williams, collector and expert on exaggeration postcards, sent me another postcard challenge. As I examined the image of the front and markings on the back, I thought, Boy, there isn’t much information here! The photograph had the feeling of early 1900s but the clues were sparse: a man, sharply dressed, was holding a sword next to a step-ladder. He was staged as if preparing to climb the … [Read more...] about Is this man Elmer Swanson?
· The Joy of the Hunt: Wade Photographer When Morgan Williams, known far and wide for his amazing collection of exaggeration postcards, sent me a postcard image to examine, I was hooked! The advertising postcard showed a side-view of an early model car, a convertible, with a smiling driver, parked on a brick city street. Photos of thirteen babies or infants had been added to the picture to give the impression they were all peacefully engaged while sitting for a portrait. The lettering at … [Read more...] about The Joy of the Hunt
· You Are NOT Under Arrest · A long-time friend who recently moved out of Reno County contacted me by email. She told me that during the hectic hubbub of her move, she hadn’t received or had lost the second half of her property tax notice. Since I used to serve civil papers, working out of the courthouse, she thought I might be able to answer some questions for her. Now, before I continue, I must inform the reader that my friend has an excellent sense of humor—in my opinion. She drips … [Read more...] about Tax Warrants