· Mo Yoder · When I first learned that Mo Yoder, Buhler, Kansas, had been a research subject involved in testing by the military during the Vietnam War, I had a bad feeling. That’s because I recalled hearing stories of soldiers unknowingly being used as human guinea pigs while experiments were done on them testing hallucinogenic drugs. I shuddered at the thought, but I wanted to talk to him about his experience. Mo graciously agreed to be interviewed about his one and one-half year … [Read more...] about Research Subject
Behind the Books Blog
· "What's your sign?" · "What's my sign?" "Yeah, what's your astrological sign?" "Oh, I'm a Libra." "Libras have a strong sense of justice and fair play." "Yes, social justice is important to me." When I was gradually imagining characters for my novel, Taking Back the Bullet: Trajectories of Self-Discovery, I studied the astrological signs in order to get ideas on how I wanted my fictional characters to be different from one another. I already had most of the characters plotted … [Read more...] about Characters from the Zodiac
· Sargent School · What image do you conjure up when you think of a one-room schoolhouse? Do you remember reading a novel by Laura Ingalls Wilder? She wrote the Little House on the Prairie series of children’s books based on her experiences as a settler, pioneer family, and teacher. Or maybe you recall watching the TV series that was based on the “Little House” books where the children received their textbook education in a one-room schoolhouse. The drama was set on the prairie in the … [Read more...] about One-Room Schoolhouses
· Stories Change Lives · I had to learn the answer to the question. What motivated Kaitlin to go to Scotland? It’s normal for people to dream and to have things on their bucket list—what they want to do before they kick the bucket. But Kaitlin isn’t just dreaming. She’s making it happen! Everyone dreams. Every young person has plans for what they want to do someday. Two years ago Kaitlin visited Scotland and England. Today, Kaitlin’s on her way to graduate school at the University of … [Read more...] about What Motivated Kaitlin?
· Bill Bush · Bill Bush “lives in Halstead, Kansas with his two teenage children, who are the inspiration behind many of his stories.” Sydney and Blake are remarkable. Just ask their father. Or read the dedication to them in his science fiction book, Vetrix (2017). He states: “You inspire me more than you will ever know.” I met Bill at the Newton Public Library (KS) when he was giving an author talk. Even though I wasn’t a fan of the science fiction genre and I don’t write for young … [Read more...] about Writer, Author, Publisher
· Chicago White Sox · I learned to be a Chicago White Sox fan from my dad. He loved sports, and once we moved near Chicago, the major league teams available in the city were like a playground for him. My dad worked long and hard hours, but my memory of attending so many professional games in the city was proof he did have leisure time. I can still feel the excitement when the crowd would roar. I can taste the mustard and pickle relish on the hot dogs. I remember wishing for a ball to be … [Read more...] about Major League Baseball